At Romans Soltani Dentistry, we prioritize educating parents and families about the potential risks of tobacco and vaping on oral health. Our team, led by Dr. Romans and Dr. Soltani, is dedicated to providing guidance and preventative measures to safeguard the oral health of teenagers and adolescents.
The Oral Health Problems That Come With Tobacco and Vaping Products
According to the CDC, the use of e-cigarettes among U.S. middle and high schools has become a significant problem, reporting that about 2.5 million students, or approximately 1 in 10, smoke within a 30-day period. Among high school students, about 14% of them reported current e-cigarette use, and 3% of middle school students. Compared to tobacco, about 4 in every 100 middle school students and about 1 in every six high school students use tobacco products. Tobacco and vaping products pose significant risks to their oral health, and with the rising number of vaping and tobacco use among younger people, it’s essential to educate them about the health risks that come with these products.
Teenagers and adolescents can face serious oral health problems when using tobacco and vaping products, some of which include:
- Tooth Discoloration: Tobacco and vaping products can cause hard to remove stains along the teeth, causing discoloration that needs more than just brushing and flossing.
- Plaque Buildup: Both tobacco and vaping products can contribute to the development of plaque along the teeth and gums, increasing the risk of cavities and gum disease.
- Halitosis: Both tobacco and vape products can also cause persistent bad breath which can impact their social engagements and sense of self-esteem.
- Delayed Healing: The nicotine often found in these products constricts blood vessels, leading to delaying healing responses when faced with medical and dental procedures.
- Periodontal Disease: Both tobacco and vape products can increase inflammation throughout the blood vessels, leading to problems such as periodontal disease if left untreated.
- Oral Cancer Risk: These products also increase the risk of developing oral cancer over time with long-term use.
Both prevention and education are key to addressing the problems that come with tobacco and vaping use among teenagers and adolescents. As parents, it’s essential to try and encourage your child to make healthy choices with their bodies for their health. If you’re looking to help your child, then here are some strategies that you can use to talk to and educate your child about the effects of tobacco and vaping:
- Provide Facts And Statistics About Tobacco and Vaping: Educate your child about the potential harms of tobacco and vaping and help them learn about the impact these products can have on their health both short-term and long-term.
- Offer Support and Encouragement to Quit: Engage in a conversation with your child to help better understand their reasons behind smoking or vaping, and support them when making informed decisions about their health.
- Help Them Establish Good Oral Hygiene Practices: Emphasize the importance of good oral hygiene practices such as brushing, flossing, and mouthwash.
- Schedule Regular Dental Checkups For Them: Make sure to schedule their dental appointment with your family dentist, as scheduling these appointments allows your dentist to detect and manage any dental health problems that they may face.
Schedule an Appointment and Visit Romans Soltani Dentistry Today!
At Romans Soltani Dentistry, removing tobacco and vaping products from your home can be challenging. Still, our experienced team is here to help you and your family to ensure the best future for your child’s oral health. To schedule an appointment, call us at (315) 487-1545 at our location in Camillus, NY.